Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Guns on campus, Yes? No?

So I'm reading this article about a Bill they want passed to allow guns on campus. Now everyone needs to take it easy. When we hear those two words, guns and campus together, everyone gets all in a frenzy. Now there is absolutely no freakin way the Texas government would allow just any old Joe or Jane going to college to carry a gun. Now come on, I hope there is more faith in our government then that.
I can completely understand people who oppose this bill. They see what happen at Columbine and most recently Virgina Tech and well, they shake their heads without even a thought. I also know that the opposing side will say ,"What are we paying campus police for"? As we all saw with VT there were police in and around but there just isn't enough police to cover such a massive campus. Also no doubt that a lack of training played a huge part in this catastrophic event as well.
As a person for this Bill I'm not saying make handguns a basic requirement just like your textbook. No I'm not saying that at all. Just like any law there will need to be set standards and guidelines. I would go so far as to maybe give physiological evaluations to the possible candidates. There are many well trained, and very well qualified personal on campuses today able to carry weapons. We have thousands of police officers and military, veterans or current, on campuses as students every day. Most more then qualified to carry handguns onto school grounds to help prevent another massacre. Now see that's the big word, "prevent'. Don't you think if someone decides to go onto a Texas campus to cause harm to the student body and faculty, that the first thing that would come to mind would be the fact that there are possibly hundreds if not thousands of guns on the premises. Not to mention that these will be well trained students with the knowledge and know how on how to react to a situation like this. I spent years in the army as a military police officer learning special skills and tactics on how to react to different situations. And I know if something like VT went on in my school, I would wish I had a weapon so I would be able to assist and save lives.
So before everyone lights up their torches, grabs a pitch fork and starts marching on the state capital, just sit back and really think about it. Like I said, we have well trained military and police officers currently attending public schools. Lets utilize them in order to keep the school safe from a bloody, tragic killing spree.

2 comments:

  1. You present a pretty good argument, man, but as someone who owns guns, I'm still going to say that this idea, if it is going to be implemented, needs a lot of refining.

    The first issue I have is basic gun safety. When I walk through a crowded hallway between classes, the last thing I want to do is bump into someone and have him or her discharge a round into me. Given, most, if not all, veterans have plenty of gun sense, but that's still a risk.

    Secondly, and more importantly, if I were, hypothetically, to decide to shoot up my school, I'm probably not thinking very rationally. I also probably don't care too much about the consequences. I doubt that the knowledge of my fellow students' guns will slow me down a whole lot.

    I'm sure there's a way to make this work, but let's not rush this through the works. Just passing a gun to any vet who's going to school is a recipe for disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that guns should not be allowed anywhere in school. I mean yeah the government should comprehend exactly what happened at VT. I mean carrying a loaded gun on campus can be very dangerous. People can get hurt. College is supposed to be a safe learning environment. I think that this bill should not be passed under any circumstances to save the lives all people. Loaded guns and a place occupied of people, anything is possible. I like the way you said, "Don't you think if someone decides to go onto a Texas campus to cause harm to the student body and faculty, that the first thing that would come to mind would be the fact that there are possibly hundreds if not thousands of guns on the premises." And my response is definitely yes that would be the first thing that would come to mind as far as safety. I don’t understand how the government can pass this bill. Maybe they aren’t thinking right. I would highly suggest better security at schools than consider having the right to carry a gun. There are people out there who are certified to hold a loaded gun (police) and are trained to fight justice. We ought to let them do the work rather than risk our own lives and be surrounded by weapons left and right.

    ReplyDelete