Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Analyze a Classmates Post

After reading this post, Are Sobriety Checkpoints the only way? it got me thinking. Sure checkpoints aren't the only way but they sure are a really good deterrent. Having been a police officer in the military we use these on a regular bases and have seen local police departments use them as well.
My classmate brings up all these stats on how checkpoints are finding other things more often then drunks. So? Is that not another good thing to get off the streets? I have seen these be a very effective tool in catching drugs and even warrants.
If you go to a bar with some friends and you know that there is a great possibility that you could hit a checkpoint wouldn't that make you think twice about getting into that car even if you had one? I know it would me. I mean if the checkpoint was doing what it was suppose to do and prevent and catch drunk drivers, would you really be arresting a lot of them? So maybe that is why there are so very few drunks being caught at these things. It is preventing people from driving on the roads while intoxicated. I'm just saying don't be so quick to judge sobriety checkpoints just because it has that sobriety word before it. They serve a much greater purpose.
So I say if the city or state wants to do these Sobriety Checkpoints bring them on. We have police driving around every second of every day, might as well bring the crime to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment